Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Cynthia Nixon Speaks

Lovely quote from her piece in the documentary The Out List:

"There are a lot of people who really don't believe people when they say they're bisexual, so I try to avoid the bisexual label because it just brings so much grief down on you.  People think you're faking, wishy washy, or people think you're a sex addict or something who doesn't wanna make up their mind, I wanna be a political fighter, and I wanna be in there fighting, so I call myself gay.  And certainly I'm delighted to be in the gay club.  People all the time talk about you know when I came out, but I don't feel like I came out.  I feel like I fell in love with someone and that person was a woman, and I don't wanna minimize that in any way.  What I'm attracted to about Christine is her butchness and her gayness.  But I didn't feel like all of a sudden there was a part of me that was denied or living in the shadows that finally could come out. gay people are fighting really really hard for our civil rights.  What's important is that the world looks at all of us and sees us as gay and so we need to be cohesive and we need to fight...it can't be us and them anymore, we have to understand, we're all us."

No comments:

Post a Comment